Sunday, April 04, 2010

The Easter Story and Making Your Bed Up

While all four of the gospels tell the story of Jesus' resurrection, John shares his perspective:

Early on the first day of the week...Simon Peter...arrived and went in the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there, as well as the burial cloth that had been around Jesus' head. The cloth was folded up by itself, separate from the linen.
John 20:1,6&7

When I was in Bible college, one of my favorite teachers,Rev. Robert Holmes, explained this passage to us. On Resurrection Morning, with all that Jesus had to do, He took time to fold his burial cloth. So, why do we think that we should start our day and not make our bed? Do we think that we have more to do than Jesus himself? (I must add that Bro. Holmes was also the Men's Dorm Supervisor, and had probably seen a few unmade beds during his time in that position.)

I love to go into my childrens' room and see that their beds that are made, without being asked. Or, better yet, to walk into my room and realize that my husband has made up our bed! Often, beds are the largest surface in a room. So, even if a room is a bit (or even a lot) disorganized, a made bed can give the room an impression of being tidy. Not only can a made bed make a room quickly look better, it can be a great surface to work on. I have been quite busy and decided to work on an unmade bed- it's no good. Keys and other items can get under the sheets. Then, you have to remake the whole bed by taking off everything and putting it back on. Not exactly what you want to be doing on morning when the airplane flight will leave with or without you. Making your bed can actually be a time-saver in the long-run.

And so...I love the Bible. While it gives me lofty things to think about, ideals to live up to, and so on, it also inspires practical insights for my everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment