Saturday, March 14, 2009

Moving Tips

I have a friend who is a Military Chaplain's wife. She has two children, one a newborn. She is in the moving process. Mark and I moved a lot early in our marriage when we were missionaries and I learned some things about moving the hard way! I wrote these notes for my friend, but I'm putting them on my blog in the hope that they can be helpful to others as well…

  1. Pray - I'm serious! Whenever I start a job that is overwhelming, I ask for God's help… that He would give me creative ideas; that my friends would help with meals, packing, or watching the kids; and that the kids will behave, take naps, etc.
  2. Pack your suitcases like you are going on a trip that will last for a month or so - Pack clothes, toiletries, Easter clothes or decorations, anything you think you will need (don't go crazy here!) for the next month or so. This could include putting in some extra clothes in case the weather changes - t-shirts, if it might be warm, jackets or coats, etc. Make sure you include medicines that your family uses on a regular basis.
  3. Pack a few things for the kids - A special blanket, a couple of sheets for the Pack-n-Play, a few favorite toys, sippy cups, bottles, baby spoons, etc.
  4. Pack up your office/library in a briefcase - Include the most important documents or bills, and the books you use most often. For me, it's the Bible and a "what-to- do-if-my-kids are-sick-book" like Where There Is No Doctor or Baby and Child Care (published by Focus on the Family.)
  5. Pack a kitchen box or suitcase - Put in the things that you need most – a skillet and spatula, a pan, a bowl with lid (so you can cook in the microwave,) a small bowl or two, cups, a couple of plates, a can opener, a toaster, a knife, a few dishtowels, cleaning rags, salt, pepper, etc. - whatever you need or want.
  6. Pack a bedroom/linen box - 2 pillows, a mattress protector, a set of sheets, and a blanket. Include a towel or so for each person, and a few washcloths.

I would take these boxes or suitcases with you in your car instead of shipping them in a moving truck, etc. Most of these things will be the last things that you pack, because you use them regularly. If you will do what I have suggested, you will end up with a compact version of your household - the things that you really need at once to live when you arrive.

I highly recommend this method since you have a baby. This way, you will have the basics immediately and then you can unpack the rest as you have time and energy.

My Love and God's Blessings to you,

Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment